Hill Middle School Band Information
Information for students in 5th grade regarding band, chorus, and orchestra enrollment can be found at the following web site:
- Reading: Comprehend, evaluate, and appreciate age appropriate materials; interpret and make inferences about written materials; develop a positive attitude toward reading
- Writing: Write in a variety of styles for a variety of audiences and purposes using the 6 Traits of Writing Philosophy
- Listening: Direct attention to what is heard and organize thoughts to make an appropriate response
- Speaking: Organize and present ideas; speak for a specific purpose in various presentation formats
- Convention/Structure: Write standard English in a grammatical, well-organized manner using conventions of language
- Spelling: use developmental spelling skills; proofread written work for spelling errors
- Number sense: Understand number meanings and relationships among numbers; understand number operations
- Geometry: Develop an understanding of 2- and 3-dimensional objects; measure different aspects of shapes; understand how shapes are related to one another
- Measurement: Use customary and metric measures to determine length, area, volume, and weight
- Operations and computation: Use a variety of computational strategies; apply the fundamental operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals
- Patterns and relationships: Identify patterns and relationships in numbers, operations, geometry, and measurement to classify and organize information
- Probability and statistics: Collect, organize, describe, and interpret data using realistic situations
- Content: study the history of the United States from the last Ice Age to the present
- Skills: use maps, conduct research, develop study skills
Science & Health
- Content: participate in hands-on activities in the following areas:
- Astronomy: planetarium
- Earth Science: weather
- Health: digestion and drug education
- Life Science: small life with a microscope
- Physical Science: electricity and magnetism
- collect and record data
- draw conclusions
- formulate hypothesis and models
- Object Control: Demonstrate catch/fielding, underhand volleyball serve, side arm strike, chest pass, bounce pass, and overhead strike.
- Physical Fitness: Develop leg strength, arm/shoulder strength, holding/carrying, lifting/lowering, pulling/pushing, posture, and personal conditioning.
- Social Skills: Develop sportsmanship.
- Body Management: Demonstrate rope climbing, partner stunts, dynamic balances, and stunt combination.
- Game, Sport, and Leisure skills: Soccer: dribble, single-leg trap, foot trap, chest trap, tackle, corner kick. Softball: base running, pitching, fielding, and batting.