Principal Summer Update - June 11, 2018
We are hoping everyone is having an awesome summer! We will be sending updates every 3 weeks to keep people up to date on summer happenings and what to expect for the beginning of the school year.
Please know that all students who have moved from Brookdale and outgoing Fifth Graders will be dropped from these updates after the system rollover, which will be happening the last week of June.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
Brookdale School Office will be open Monday through Thursday from 9:00am to 3:00pm. Occasionally, both Mrs. Howicz and/or Mrs. Minch will be on vacation so call the office before planning a visit to the school office. Please note the entire school will be closed from June 25 through June 29 for maintenance/repairs.
STAFFING CHANGES AT BROOKDALE
There are some changes in staffing for the coming year. The changes are as follows:
• Jorie Clawson - Second Grade Teacher
• Leah Walsh - Second Grade Teacher
• Alice Iwinski - Third Grade Teacher
• Vickie McClung - Fourth Grade Teacher
• Lindsey Stepper - Student Service Coordinator
• Stephanie Vera-Klein - Interventionist (previously at Longwood Elementary School as a SPED teacher)
• Angie Bader - 3 FTE Art Teacher (shared with Longwood Elementary School) (Julie Siegler will be .5FTE)
• Dani Donaldson - .3 FTE Music Teacher (shared with May Watts Elementary School) (Katie Yi will be .5FTE)
• Carolyn Lenc - .5 FTE Reading Specialist (shared with Brooks Elementary School)
• Liz Oliver - Full Time at Brookdale Elementary School as a Social Worker
• Angela Sarno - Occaptional Therapist (shared with Cowlishaw and Hill MS
We will miss the following staff who will no longer be at Brookdale Elementary this coming year:
• Tracy Born - Reading Specialist at Brooks Elementary School
• Jeanne Brooks - Music Teacher at McCarty
• Carolyn Fitzgerald - Third Grade Teacher at Young Elementary School
• Amy Madzinski - LMC Director at MVHS
• Brittany Boland
• Wyatt Jansen
• Grace Paulson
• Betty Slater
We wish all the best of luck in their new endeavors and positions.
NOTES FROM THE BROOKDALE LMC
Looking to avoid the “Summer Slide” with your child? Click on this link to a variety of area programs that are geared towards keeping your students reading all summer. In addition, we will have summer checkout three times this summer. Summer checkout will be from 9:30am to 11:00pm on
• Monday, June 11
• Monday, July 9
• Monday, August 13.
If you haven't registered your child for next year, now is the time. Paperwork can be sent through student backpack if needed. The following items are part of the registration:
• If your residency was not verified through the district, you will need to provide three proofs of residency as part of the process.
• All parents are to verify their information in our Home Access Center as part of registration. If you need assistance with your login or passwords, please contact the main office.
• The following forms need to be completed and returned: white health card and arrival/departure form.
• The payment of fees for next school year - $105 for KDG/1st and $145 for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th.
NOMINATION CALL: EQUITY CHAMPION
We need your help nominating Equity Champions. Every year, PDAC acknowledges equity champions that have gone “beyond the call of duty to ensure that all students have equal access to success” ~PDAC nomination form. You may nominate any staff member, administrator, parent and/or community member that you believe has exemplified championing for equity. The nomination forms are open to all. Nominations are due June 30, 2018. The electronic nomination form can be found on the PDAC subpage (scroll to the bottom) or by visiting: http://www.ipsd.org/Subpage.aspx/PDAC. The selected champion will be recognized at the annual World Café slated for late September/early October 2018. Please do not nominate any member of the current PDAC District Leadership team as ineligible to receive this award.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
• Monday, July 9, 2018 - Summer Checkout Program - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Wednesday, August 1, 2018 - Back to School Fair at St. Francis High School - 11:00am to 6:00pm (see flier)
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Summer Checkout Program - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Chromebook Meeting and Deployment for all 2nd thru 5th grade students - 3:00pm or 5:30pm
2018 28th Annual DuPage Co. Back to School Flyer (