Principal Update May 27, 2018
We hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather for this Memorial Day Weekend. We have a fun-filled week ahead as we wind up the school year.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
RETIREMENTS AT BROOKDALE
Please join the Brookdale Staff on Tuesday, May 29 at 4:00pm to celebrate the careers and retirements of Mary Brigman (Second Grade Teacher) and Jean Zmijewski (Teacher Assistant). We will be sending them off in style with light refreshments, fun stories and more.
ENJOY THE KONA ICE TRUCK
The Kona Ice Truck will be on the Brookdale playground starting at 3:30 on Friday, June 1! Come celebrate the last day of school with your child, family and friends with a cool, refreshing Kona Ice. This is a fundraiser for the Brookdale Team IPEF runners. See the attached flier for more details.
NOTES FROM THE BROOKDALE LMC
Looking to avoid the “Summer Slide” with your child? Click on this link to a variety of area programs that are geared towards keeping your students reading all summer. Please note that all LMC books were due Monday May 21st. Please help your student return any library books that they might still have checked out. Mark your calendars for summer checkout dates - all will be held from 9:30am to 11:00pm - Monday, June 11, Monday, July 9 and Monday, August 13.
FOURTH GRADE SAFETY PATROL SIGN-UP
All Fourth Grade students who are interested in signing up for the 2018-2019 Brookdale Safety Patrol must complete enrollment by using the online link from their classroom teacher and submit the paper application to their teacher. This must be completed by Tuesday, May 29th. If you have questions or need the link resent, please email your child's classroom teacher.
MEDICATION AND SUPPLY PICK-UP
Per District protocol, all medication and supplies kept in the health office must be pick up on the last day of school, Friday, June 1st. Anything remaining at school not picked up by Monday, June 4th will be disposed of. If your child/ren will be keeping medication in the health office during the 2018-2019 school year, new physician orders will be required. Please contact me should you have any questions/concerns.
If you haven't registered your child for next year, now is the time. Paperwork can be sent through student backpack if needed. The following items are part of the registration:
• If your residency was not verified through the district, you will need to provide three proofs of residency as part of the process.
• All parents are to verify their information in our Home Access Center as part of registration. If you need assistance with your login or passwords, please contact the main office.
• The following forms need to be completed and returned: white health card and arrival/departure form.
• The payment of fees for next school year - $105 for KDG/1st and $145 for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th.
NOMINATION CALL: EQUITY CHAMPION
We need your help nominating Equity Champions. Every year, PDAC acknowledges equity champions that have gone “beyond the call of duty to ensure that all students have equal access to success” ~PDAC nomination form. You may nominate any staff member, administrator, parent and/or community member that you believe has exemplified championing for equity. The nomination forms are open to all. Nominations are due June 30, 2018. The electronic nomination form can be found on the PDAC subpage (scroll to the bottom) or HERE. The selected champion will be recognized at the annual World Café slated for late September/early October 2018. Please do not nominate any member of the current PDAC District Leadership team as ineligible to receive this award.
G.I.R.L.S RUNNING PROGRAM
Coming next fall - G.I.R.L.S. Running Program, sponsored by Metea Valley High School with Mrs. Walsh, Ms. Clawson and Mrs. Schmidt as our Brookdale mentors. This program will be opened to girls in third, fourth and fifth grades after school. See attached flier for more information.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, May 28
• NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
Tuesday, May 29
• Field Day - 9:00am to 11:00pm
• PTA Meeting - 2:00pm
• Volunteer Celebration - immediately following the PTA Meeting
• Retirement Celebration (in MPR) for Mrs. Brigman and Mrs. Zmijewski - 4:00pm
Wednesday, May 30
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
Thursday, May 31
• Third Grade Picnic - during school day
• Kindergarten Picnic - 1:15pm
Friday, June 1
• Last Day for Students
• Fifth Grade Celebration - during the school day
• Kona Ice Truck will be on the Blacktop from 3:30pm to 4:15pm (see attached flier for information)
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - Reports cards open in HAC - 12:00pm
• Monday, June 11, 2018 - Summer Checkout Program - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Monday, July 9, 2018 - Summer Checkout Program - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Summer Checkout Program - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Chromebook Meeting and Deployment for all 2nd thru 5th grade students - 3:00pm or 5:30pm
Kona Truck Flyer (
G.I.R.L.S. Running (