Principal Update May 20, 2018
We are down to the homestretch.... only 9 more school days left! But each and every day counts!
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
RETIREMENTS AT BROOKDALE
Please join the Brookdale Staff on Tuesday, May 29 at 4:00pm to celebrate the careers and retirements of Mary Brigman (Second Grade Teacher) and Jean Zmijewski (Teacher Assistant). We will be sending them off in style with light refreshments, fun stories and more.
MEDICATION AND SUPPLY PICK-UP
Per District protocol, all medication and supplies kept in the health office must be picked up on the last day of school, Friday, June 1st. Anything remaining at school not picked up by Monday, June 4th will be disposed of. If your child/ren will be keeping medication in the health office during the 2018-2019 school year, new physician orders will be required. Please contact me should you have any questions/concerns.
If you haven't registered your child for next year, now is the time. Paperwork can be sent through student backpack if needed. The following items are part of the registration:
• If your residency was not verified through the district, you will need to provide three proofs of residency as part of the process.
• All parents are to verify their information in our Home Access Center as part of registration. If you need assistance with your login or passwords, please contact the main office.
• The following forms need to be completed and returned: white health card and arrival/departure form.
• The payment of fees for next school year - $105 for KDG/1st and $145 for 2nd/3rd/4th/5th.
ELEMENTARY SUMMER MUSIC CAMP
SING! DRUM! PLAY! For students entering 4th, 5th & 6th Grade
Sign up your student to be a part of the District #204 Summer Music Camp! Students will sing, dance and play instruments like xylophones, recorders and drums. On the final day of camp, students will perform music they have experienced throughout the camp for their families. You may pick ANY session that works best for your family and schedule, despite where you live or attend school. Register at: https://www.summermusic204.org/ There are three different sessions: June 11-15, 9:00-11:00am (at WVHS), June 11-15, 1:00-3:00pm (at NVHS) or June 18-22, 9:00-11:00am (at MVHS). Registration fee for the Music Camp is $69 for the week if you register by May 15th. After May 15th fee is $74.00.
CULINARY CAMP AT WVHS
WVHS is offering culinary camps again this summer for 3-8th grade students. Students can attend classes for this years grade or go up one grade level. Registration information is included in the attached flyer.
NOMINATION CALL: EQUITY CHAMPION
We need your help nominating Equity Champions. Every year, PDAC acknowledges equity champions that have gone “beyond the call of duty to ensure that all students have equal access to success” ~PDAC nomination form. You may nominate any staff member, administrator, parent and/or community member that you believe has exemplified championing for equity. The nomination forms are open to all. Nominations are due June 30, 2018. The electronic nomination form can be found on the PDAC subpage (scroll to the bottom) or HERE. The selected champion will be recognized at the annual World Café slated for late September/early October 2018. Please do not nominate any member of the current PDAC District Leadership team as ineligible to receive this award.
PARENT INPUT FORM FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
Attached to this email, you will find a form parent's can fill out to give input on what type of teacher or environment their student requires to learn best. Please know that any form that is returned with a request for a specific teacher will be denied and returned. As we make classroom lists for next school year, we will refer to these input forms and do our best to meet the needs as suggested. Please know that no form will be accepted after June 1, 2018 as the class lists are already being formed by that time.
Registration is now open for the students ages 5-13 who would like to represent their school as a charity hero with Team IPEF in the Naperville Kids Marathon next fall. Students commit to running 25 miles (one mile at a time) between May 1 and October 19 and track their miles. On Saturday, October 20, they run the final 1.2 miles at Naperville North High School on a portion of the course used by Team IPEF runners in the Naperville Half Marathon the following day. All participants receive a shirt and finisher medal. Register at https://www.ipef204.org/kidsmarathon-3/and select the school your child will represent. Cost is $44 and includes race registration and a $26 tax deductible donation.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, May 21
• Whiz Kids Coding Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, May 22
• Naperville Library in the LMC - during the school day
• Safety Patrol Celebration - Bolero Bowl - 4:15pm to 5:45pm
Wednesday, May 23
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am (date change)
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
• Therapy Dogs are here - during the school day
• Third Grade Living History Museum - 2:30pm
• Spring Chorus Concert at 7:00pm
Thursday, May 24
• Typical Day at Brookdale
Friday, May 25
• Fourth Grade Egg Drop - 2:00pm near the Blacktop
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Field Day - 9:00am to 12:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - PTA Meeting - 2:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Volunteer Celebration - immediately following the PTA Meeting
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Retirement Celebration (in MPR) for Mrs. Brigman and Mrs. Zmijewski - 4:00pm
• Friday, June 1, 2018 - Last FULL day of school for all students
• Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - Reports cards open in HAC - 12:00pm
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Chromebook Meeting and Deployment for all 2nd thru 5th grade students - 3:00pm or 5:30pm
Parent Form For Class Placement (
Culinary Camp Flyer (