Principal Update April 29, 2018
This past week, all of our teachers switched with another staff member for 50 minutes. The purpose of this activity was to build connections between our staff to experience another staff's perspective of their job. But in addition, the students loved having a 'guest teacher' for a short while. What a fun experience!
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
Everyone should have received their verification letters and registration packets at this time. The next step is for all parents to verify their information in our Home Access Center prior to our Registration days. If you need assistance with your login or passwords, please contact the main office.
We will host Walk-in Registrations at following dates/times:
• Monday, May 7 - 4:00pm to 7:30pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
• Wednesday May 9 - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 7:00pm (NEW KDG students and siblings)
• Thursday, May 10 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:30pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
THANK YOU TO OUR WATCH D.O.G.S.
A BIG thank you to all of the father figures that participated in our WATCH D.O.G.S. program this year at Brookdale! We have enjoyed working and playing with all of you! Our WATCH D.O.G.S. program for this school year will end on Friday, May 4th. We look forward to another great year of WATCH D.O.G.S. when we return for the 2018-19 school year.
DONATE TO SUPPORT FAMILIES IN NEED
District 204 currently has 18 percent of its students qualifying for free or reduced lunch. This translates to more than 5,000 students. Purchasing school supplies so children are prepared for the school year can be challenging for low-income families. To address this problem, the Indian Prairie Parents' Council (IPPC) is hosting a drive to support families who may need assistance when their children return to school in August. If you would like to help make a difference for our families, you can make a donation in any amount by visiting http://ipsd.us/8TZJK.
TIME FOR KIDS
Students brought home address booklets from Time For Kids on Thursday. If students return these booklets by Wednesday, May 2, they will receive a lanyard with an Ghost Buddy attached. For every booklet returned Time for Kids gives Brookdale credit towards the purchase of Time for Kids and Scholastic magazine. Last year Brookdale received an $800.00 credit towards the cost of these magazines. Please consider supporting your student in this endeavor.
PARENT INPUT FORM FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
Attached to this email, you will find a form parent's can fill out to give input on what type of teacher or environment their student requires to learn best. Please know that any form that is returned with a request for a specific teacher will be denied and returned. As we make classroom lists for next school year, we will refer to these input forms and do our best to meet the needs as suggested. Please know that no form will be accepted after June 1, 2018 as the class lists are already being formed by that time.
Registration is now open for the students ages 5-13 who would like to represent their school as a charity hero with Team IPEF in the Naperville Kids Marathon next fall. Students commit to running 25 miles (one mile at a time) between May 1 and October 19 and track their miles. On Saturday, October 20, they run the final 1.2 miles at Naperville North High School on a portion of the course used by Team IPEF runners in the Naperville Half Marathon the following day. All participants receive a shirt and finisher medal. Register at https://www.ipef204.org/kidsmarathon-3/and select the school your child will represent. Cost is $44 and includes race registration and a $26 tax deductible donation.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, April 30
• May Benchmark Assessments begin this week for KDG and First Grade Students
• Engineering for Kids Class - 3:40pm to 5:00pm
• PTA Family Dinner Night at Portillo's - 5:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday, May 1
• Chorus Field Trip to Cinderella - 4:00pm to 11:00pm
Wednesday, May 2
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
Thursday, May 3
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, May 4
• PTA Muffin with Moms (by appointment) - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:15am to 8:50am
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, May 7, 2018 - Walk-In Registration for returning students - 4:00pm to 7:30pm
• Wednesday, May 9, 2018 - Walk-In Registration and Kindergarten Screening (by appointment) - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 7:00pm
• Thursday, May 10, 2018 - Walk-In Registration for returning students - 12:30pm to 3:00pm and 4:00pm to 5:30pm
• Friday, May 11, 2018 - PTA Assembly "The Science Alliance" - during the school day
• Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - Spring Chorus Concert at 7:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Field Day - 9:00am to 12:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - PTA Meeting - 2:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Volunteer Celebration - immediately following the PTA Meeting
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Retirement Celebration (in MPR) for Mrs. Brigman and Mrs. Zmijewski - 4:00pm
• Friday, June 1, 2018 - Last FULL day of school for all students
• Monday, August 13, 2018 - Chromebook Meeting and Deployment for all 2nd thru 5th grade students - 3:00pm or 5:30pm
Parent Form For Class Placement (