Principal Update April 8, 2018
The City of Naperville has just completed a traffic study for Brookdale Elementary. The study was conducted over four periods (two in the morning and two in the afternoon) during the early part of March. What was discovered was many who come to pick up their children are not obeying the current plan and signs along Redfield Road and Bainbridge Road. The city will be increasing patrols during morning arrival and afternoon dismissal to issue tickets. We ask that everyone play close attention to the parking signs to avoid a ticket. In addition, please communicate the importance of following the staff's directions and parking signs for those you ask to pick up your child who may not have access to these updates. Together, we can make our arrival and dismissal procedures safe for everyone.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
REGISTRATION TO BEGIN IN APRIL
All families will be receiving a letter from the district indicating if the residency on file has been verified or not. These letters will arrive via USPS during this week. Please be prepared to provide the appropriate documentation when registering based on these letters.
Beginning the week of April 16, we will be sending home registration packets for students returning to Brookdale. Parents can begin verifying information through Home Access Center on April 23. We will host Walk-in Registrations at following dates/times:
• Monday, May 7 - 4:00pm to 7:30pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
• Wednesday May 9 - 12:30pm to 7:00pm (NEW KDG students and siblings)
• Thursday, May 10 12:30pm to 5:3pm (Returning KDG through 4th grade students)
PDAC MEETING ON TUESDAY, APRIL 17
The next PDAC meeting is on Tuesday, April 17th, 7-9:00 pm, at CEC. The topic of the meeting is Understanding and Addressing Income Advantages: How do students’ parental incomes advantage and disadvantage them in school? Please consider joining us! For more information on PDAC or calendar, please visit the PDAC subpage.
Finally, PDAC is co-hosting an awareness talk on youth challenges and concerns at the Naperville Public Library on Sunday, April 8th, 2-4:00 pm. The flyer for the event is attached.
PARENT INPUT FORM FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
Attached to this email, you will find a form parent's can fill out to give input on what type of teacher or environment their student requires to learn best. Please know that any form that is returned with a request for a specific teacher will be denied and returned. As we make classroom lists for next school year, we will refer to these input forms and do our best to meet the needs as suggested. Please know that no form will be accepted after June 1, 2018 as the class lists are already being formed by that time.
BOX TOP UPDATE
Many of our household and food products contain box top coupons. By cutting these off the products and sending them into school, we earn money for our PTA and School. At times, the PTA will hold a contest to see which classroom brings in the most box tops during a determined time frame. However, this school year, we will not be holding such a contest. The sooner you can send in the box tops, the sooner the Box Top committee can send in the coupons for a donation check. We appreciate everyone’s participation and support of this easy fundraising effort.
Have you wanted to join, but thought it was just too far to run? New this year, Team IPEF runners can choose the Half Marathon or 5K. Be part of a unique opportunity to make healthy choices while raising awareness and funds for schools in District 204. Runner perks include Topgolf Kick-off event, training and race day shirts, heated tent on race day, free chiropractic care and more. See who’s already registered to run for Brookdale, get more details and sign-up to join at https://www.ipef204.org/teamipef/Last day to register is April 16.
Registration is now open for the students ages 5-13 who would like to represent their school as a charity hero with Team IPEF in the Naperville Kids Marathon next fall. Students commit to running 25 miles (one mile at a time) between May 1 and October 19 and track their miles. On Saturday, October 20, they run the final 1.2 miles at Naperville North High School on a portion of the course used by Team IPEF runners in the Naperville Half Marathon the following day. All participants receive a shirt and finisher medal. Register at https://www.ipef204.org/kidsmarathon-3/and select the school your child will represent. Cost is $44 and includes race registration and a $26 tax deductible donation.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, April 9
• Fifth Grade Gym Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
Tuesday, April 10
• Third Grade "Learn not to Burn" Program - during school day
Wednesday, April 11
• Late start - first bell rings at 9:00am with Tardy Bell rings at 9:15am
• Illinois Science Assessment for 5th Graders - AM
• Family Dinner Night at Red Robin - 11:00am to 9:00pm
• Brookdale Buddies Program - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Second Grade Music Program - 7:00pm (Students to arrive by 6:45pm)
Thursday, April 12
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, April 13
• Busy Bobcat Store - 8:30am to 9:05am
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - PTA Assembly "Ben Franklin" - during the school day
• Friday, April 20, 2018 - Spring Fling/Silent Auction - 6:00pm to 9:00pm
• Tuesday, April 23, 2018 - Home Access Center Online Registration begins
• Friday, April 27, 2018 - NO SCHOOL for Students - School Improvement Day
• Friday, May 11, 2018 - PTA Assembly "The Science Alliance" - during the school day
• Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - Spring Chorus Concert at 7:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Field Day - 9:00am to 12:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - PTA Meeting - 2:00pm
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Volunteer Celebration - immediately following the PTA Meeting
• Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - Retirement Celebration (in MPR) for Mrs. Brigman and Mrs. Zmijewski - 4:00pm
• Friday, June 1, 2018 - Last FULL day of school for all students
Parent Form For Class Placement (
Awareness Talk (