Principal Update October 22, 2017
Although you are reading this after the Naperville Half-Marathon, it is being written prior to the race. However, I feel confident in saying congratulations to Mrs. Birkner, Mr. Sapoznik, Mr. Tabisz and Mrs. Walsh in persevering and finishing the race! Also, to all our Brookdale students who ran the Kid's Marathon yesterday afternoon! We appreciate the support in raising money for IPEF and Brookdale School.
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE SIGN-UP
Parents are asked to schedule student conferences through PowerPTC for Thursday, November 9 from 4:30pm to 8:00pm or Monday, November 13 from 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm.
When scheduling conferences, you will have access to your child's homeroom teacher's schedule as well as the following support staff schedules:
• Gustavo Gonzalez - English Language Learner Teacher
• Jane Ro - English Language Learner Teacher
• Tracy Born - Reading Specialist
• Arlene Sanders - Reading Specialist
• Anne Schmalandt - Reading Specialist
• Leah Walsh - Interventionist (Math)
• Betty Slater - Project Arrow Teacher
Please know that you will not be able to schedule a conference with your child's math teacher if it is someone other than their homeroom teacher.
PTA BOOK FAIR
Wednesday, October 25: 9:30am - 8:00pm
Thursday, October 26: 9:30am - 4:30pm
Friday, October 27: 9:30am - 12:00pm
Start your holiday shopping while supporting our school! Come browse the great selection of books, games, calendars, autographed books and clearance books. Parents are welcome to visit any time during the book fair and must bring a photo ID and check in at the school office during school hours. All sales are tax free. Cash, credit cards and checks payable to "Anderson's Book Fair Company" are accepted. Book Fair volunteers are still needed!! CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP ONLINE TO VOLUNTEER.
FOOD TRUCK NIGHT AT BROOKDALE SCHOOL
Wednesday, October 25 from 5:00 - 7:30pm
Join us for our PTA Book Fair family kick-off event featuring Toasty Cheese Mobile Eatery, CheSa&rsquoâ€”s Gluten Tootin Free Food Truck, and Fat Tommy’s Chicago! Get a ticket at the Book Fair (in the LMC) for a FREE ICE CREAM (in the MPR) compliments of the Ruth Sheahan Team of EXP Realty. Cash and credit cards are accepted by the food trucks. The MPR will be open so you may sit and enjoy your food!
WORLD CULTURAL FAIR - FAMILY SHOWCASE
Friday, November 17 from 7:00 - 8:30pm
It’s not too late to sign up to showcase your culture and traditions at Brookdale&rsquoâ€”s World Cultural Fair! Whether it be a table display, performance or cuisine&mdashâ€”this is the perfect opportunity to share it with other Brookdale families and students! Please contact our PTA Committee Co-Chair, Cindy Meiresonne, at email@example.com.
BROOKDALE TEAL PUMPKIN PROJECT
Each year, Mrs. Secrist, a Brookdale parent, organizes the Brookdale Teal Pumpkin Project map for Trick-or-Treating around the Brookdale neighborhood. If you would like to be included on the map distributed amongst the Brookdale families, please email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unfamiliar with the Team Pumpkin Project, please check out their website. It's a safe and organized way for children with food allergies to Trick-or-Treat at safe homes.
ANNUAL WINTER COAT AND BOOT DRIVE
Brookdale is once again collecting new or gently used, clean coats of all sizes, from infant through adult through Friday, October 27. Donations may be placed in the large collection box just inside the school’s main entrance. Indian Prairie Parents' Council (IPPC) will be distributing the items to families in need within our school district in early November. Thank you for helping your community!
OCTOBER IS NATIONAL BULLYING PREVENTION MONTH
National Bullying Prevention Month is a nationwide campaign founded in 2006 by PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center. The campaign is held during the month of October and unites communities around the world to educate and raise awareness of bullying prevention. Understanding the difference between bullying and conflict is important for both adults and students. You can increase your understanding of what bullying is and how to prevent behaviors at home and school from the the Pacer organization. In addition, we are providing a brief article that shares the difference between being rude, being mean and bullying. At Brookdale, we focus on providing students the problem solving skills of when to say "Stop", when to ignore or walk away and when to tell an adult immediately. We ask all to wear ORANGE on October 25th to support the prevention of bullying behavior.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, October 23rd
• Typical Day at Brookdale
Tuesday, October 24th
• Picture Retake Day – 8:30am to 11:30am
Wednesday, October 25th
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with the Tardy Bell ringing at 9:15am
• Wear ORANGE today to support Bully Prevention Month
• PTA Book Fair 9:30am to 8:00pm
• Food Truck Night - 5:00pm to 7:30pm
• NO Brookdale Buddies Program
• PTA Family Dinner Night at California Pizza Kitchen
Thursday, October 26th
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• PTA Book Fair - 9:30am to 4:30pm
• PTA Family Dinner Night at California Pizza Kitchen
Friday, October 27th
• End of First Quarter
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• PTA Book Fair - 9:30am to 12:00pm
• Assembly for Students - The Fabulous Chinese Acrobats (during the school day) - To kick off World at Brookdale :)
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – PTA Fall Party – 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Friday, November 3, 2017 – Report Cards Open in HAC – 4:00pm
• Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Sunday, November 12, 2017 – Brookdale/McCarty Chorus Field Trip to Chicago Wolves
• Monday, November 13, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 8:00am to 8:00pm
• Thursday, November 16, 2017 - Human Growth and Development Parent Orientation Meeting for all 5th Grade Parents - Longwood Elementary School - 7:00pm
• Monday, November 20, 2017 - Human Growth and Development Parent Orientation Meeting for all 5th Grade Parents - Kendall Elementary School - 7:00pm
• Wednesday, November 22 to Friday, November 24, 2017 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
Rude vs Mean vs Bullying -Defining the Differences (
Food Truck Night at Brookdale (
PTA Book Fair (