Principal Update October 15, 2017
What a week we had at Brookdale. First off, we had an amazing turn-out to our Family Literacy Night on Wednesday. In addition, we were overwhelmed with the crowds of people who came to Chipotle to show support for the Brookdale Team IPEF - it was a GIGANTIC success! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE SIGN-UP
On Tuesday, October 17 at 9:00am, parents will be able to schedule student conferences through PowerPTC for Thursday, November 9 from 4:30pm to 8:00pm or Monday, November 13 from 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm. Last week, all parents should have received their activation codes via an email from Indian Prairie SD204. Please be sure to activate your account prior to attempting to schedule your child(ren)'s conferences. Please call our office if you need assistance or did not receive the email with an activation code.
When scheduling conferences, you will have access to your child's homeroom teacher's schedule as well as the following support staff schedules:
• Gustavo Gonzalez - English Language Learner Teacher
• Jane Ro - English Language Learner Teacher
• Tracy Born - Reading Specialist
• Arlene Sanders - Reading Specialist
• Anne Schmalandt - Reading Specialist
• Leah Walsh - Interventionist (Math)
• Betty Slater - Project Arrow Teacher
Please know that you will not be able to schedule a conference with your child's math teacher if it is someone other than their homeroom teacher.
WELCOME TO OUR NEW ELL TEACHER
The district recognized our need of additional teaching staff for our students who are part of the ELL (English Language Learner) Program. After interviewing a handful of qualified candidates, we are very lucky to have found Mrs. Jane Ro. Mrs. Ro will begin at Brookdale tomorrow to assist Mr. Gonzalez in meeting our ELL needs. Mrs. Anwar will be transferred to another building to assist in their needs. We are very sad to see Mrs. Anwar go but very excited to welcome Mrs. Ro to our Brookdale family!
FAMILY LITERACY NIGHT
We had a wonderful turnout at Camp Brookdale
Family Literacy Night Wednesday evening. It was a fantastic event engaging students and families in a variety of literacy activities. Thank you to Mrs. Furstenau, Mrs. Schmalandt and their committee for all their hard work to make this event so memorable.
We would appreciate all who attended to consider filling out this brief survey so staff can plan for future literacy events at Brookdale. Family Literacy Night Survey
BROOKDALE SPIRIT SQUAD AT THE NAPERVILLE HALF MARATHON
Calling all spirit filled Bobcats! Join the Brookdale Spirit Squad on October 22nd at 7 am to cheer on the runners of the Naperville Half Marathon especially those on Team IPEF! We will be meeting at the corner of S. West Street and W. Hillside Rd. Approximately by Naperville Central High School. Come for a morning of cheering and fun! The spirit squad may also have some special items for students who attend! So get out all that blue and yellow and get ready to cheer for those Bobcat Runners while working on winning $500 for our Brookdale School!!!!!
Team IPEF runners have raised more than $100,000 this year for all 33 schools and the STEPS program in District 204. It is not too late to make a tax-deductible donation in order to support Mrs. Birkner (parent), Mr. Sapoznik (5th Grade teacher), Mr. Tabisz (PE teacher) and Mrs. Walsh (Interventionist) athttps://www.ipef204.org/get-involved/teamipef/. Half of funds raised come back to Brookdale School, the other half supports district wide initiatives funded by the Indian Prairie Educational Foundation. The last day to donate is October 15th. A record setting 335 runners will be participating as charity partners in the Naperville Half Marathon on Sunday, October 22, representing Team IPEF and District 204 schools.
You can watch the Team IPEF video and see why they run athttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj65NpaLUkE
OCTOBER IS NATIONAL BULLYING PREVENTION MONTH
National Bullying Prevention Month is a nationwide campaign founded in 2006 by PACER National Bullying Prevention Center. The campaign is held during the month of October and unites communities around the world to educate and raise awareness of bullying prevention. Understanding the difference between bullying and conflict is important for both adults and students. You can increase your understanding of what bullying is and how to prevent behaviors at home and school from the Pacer organization. In addition, we are providing a brief article that shares the difference between being rude, being mean and bullying. At Brookdale, we focus on providing students the problem-solving skills of when to say "Stop", when to ignore or walk away and when to tell an adult immediately. We ask all to wear ORANGE on October 25th to support the prevention of bullying behavior.
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, October 16th
• WATCH D.O.G.S. Program begins today!
Tuesday, October 17th
• Kindergarten Family Reading Night (invitation only) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
Wednesday, October 18th
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with the Tardy Bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies Program - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, October 19th
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, October 20th
• Busy Bobcat Store - 8:30am to 9:05am
• PTA Assembly for Students - "Yes, You Can" (during the school day)
Saturday, October 21st
• Kid’s Naperville Marathon – 3:00pm
Sunday, October 22nd
• Naperville Half Marathon – 8:00am (please join us at Mile 13 for the Brookdale Spirit Squad to cheer on Mrs. Birkner, Mr. Sapoznik, Mr. Tabisz, and Mrs. Walsh and help us win $500 for our school)
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Tuesday, October 24, 2017 – Picture Retake Day – 8:30am to 11:30am
• Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - Wear ORANGE to support Bully Prevention Month
• Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - PTA Book Fair 9:30am to 8:00pm and Food Truck Night - 5:00pm to 7:30pm
• Thursday, October 26, 2017 - PTA Book Fair - 9:30am to 4:30pm
• Friday, October 27, 2017 - PTA Book Fair - 9:30am to 12:00pm
• Friday, October 27, 2017 – End of First Quarter
• Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – PTA Fall Party – 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Friday, November 3, 2017 – Report Cards Open in HAC – 4:00pm
• Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Sunday, November 12, 2017 – Brookdale/McCarty Chorus Field Trip to Chicago Wolves (more info to come)
• Monday, November 13, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 8:00am to 8:00pm
Rude vs Mean vs Bullying -Defining the Differences (