Principal Update October 8, 2017
The FUN RUN was such a huge success! Not only did we raise just about $10,300 but all of our students had such an incredible time participating in all of the activities! Thank you to Mrs. Cotner, Mrs. Hervey, Mr. Tabisz, Mother Nature- and all of who volunteered and helped make it such a wonderful day!
Here is what is happening at Brookdale:
FAMILY READING NIGHT - 'THE SMORE YOU READ THE SMORE YOU KNOW'
This Wednesday, October 11th from 6:30pm to 8:00pm, we will hold our annual Brookdale’s Family Literacy Night Camp, "The Smore You Read the Smore You Know." Come join us as we celebrate reading and some fun camping activities. Please copy and paste the following link to RSVP online: https://goo.gl/forms/kJSgwgzUqg7cN1m02
WATCH D.O.G.S. AT BROOKDALE- SIGN UP EXTENDED
We are extending the sign-up for all Father Figures (Dads, Uncles, Cousins, Brothers, Grandpas) to become a Brookdale WATCH D.O.G.!! Sign up here through Monday, October 9th to get started on the best day of the school year. Please pick a date (s) that will work for you to come to Brookdale as a WATCHD.O.G. WATCHD.O.G.s spend the day at Brookdale helping out in classrooms, lunch/recess and otherwise engaging students in their learning. Last year was such a success, we are expanding the program. We are looking for one WATCHD.O.D. each school day to spend the full day with us. You can sign up as many times as you would like as long as you are an adult male 21 years of age or older. Please contact Leah Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org OR Allen Sapoznik email@example.com for more information about WATCHD.O.G.S. See attached flier to order a WATCHD.O.G. t-shirt for you and/or your Brookdale child.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 9TH, IS FAMILY DINNER NIGHT AT PORTILLOS
Portillos just recently introduced their new fundraising program. On Monday night, Brookdale School will have our very first “Family Dinner Night” at Portillos located at 1992 Jefferson Avenue in Naperville! From 5:00-8:00pm on Monday, bring in the flier or show it on your Smart Phone while placing your order, and 20% of the proceeds will benefit Brookdale School! We look forward to seeing you there!
BROOKDALE SPIRIT SQUAD AT THE NAPERVILLE HALF MARATHON
Calling all spirit filled Bobcats! Join the Brookdale Spirit Squad on October 22nd at 7 am to cheer on the runners of the Naperville Half Marathon especially those on Team IPEF! We will be meeting at the corner of S. West Street and W. Hillside Rd. Approximately by Naperville Central High School. Come for a morning of cheering and fun! The spirit squad may also have some special items for students who attend! So get out all that blue and yellow and get ready to cheer for those Bobcat Runners while working on winning $500 for our Brookdale School!!!!!
ANNUAL WINTER COAT AND BOOT DRIVE
Brookdale is once again collecting new or gently used, clean coats of all sizes, from infant through adult through Friday, October 27. Donations may be placed in the large collection box just inside the school’s main entrance. Indian Prairie Parents' Council (IPPC) will be distributing the items to families in need within our school district in early November. Thank you for helping your community!
OCTOBER IS NATIONAL BULLYING PREVENTION MONTH
National Bullying Prevention Month is a nationwide campaign founded in 2006 by PACERS National Bullying Prevention Center. The campaign is held during the month of October and unites communities around the world to educate and raise awareness of bullying prevention. Understanding the difference between bullying and conflict is important for both adults and students. You can increase your understanding of what bullying is and how to prevent behaviors at home and school from the Pacer organization. In addition, we are providing a brief article that shares the difference between being rude, being mean and bullying. At Brookdale, we focus on providing students the problem-solving skills of when to say "Stop", when to ignore or walk away and when to tell an adult immediately.
BROOKDALE PULL TAB COLLECTION
Brookdale has kicked off its schoolwide pull tab collection for Ronald McDonald' House Charities (RMHC)! Help support RMHC by collecting the little tabs you pull to open pop, soup or other aluminum cans! Drop off your collected pop, soup or other aluminum can pull tabs in the collection container at Brookdale School (located in the LMC)! More information may be found at www.brookdalepta.org/pull-tabs.
Did you know we have a personal Twitter hashtag - #BrookdalePride? Are you following Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat? You can follow us to see all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary!
UPCOMING WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, October 9th
• NO SCHOOL - Columbus Day Observation
• PTA Family Dinner Night at Portillos - 5:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday, October 10th
• Typical Day at Brookdale
Wednesday, October 11th
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with the Tardy Bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies Program - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Family Literacy Night - 6:30pm to 8:00pm (open to ALL families)
Thursday, October 12th
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• IPPA PA Fundraiser at Chick-Fil-A - all day
• Brookdale's Team IPEF Fundraiser at Chipotle on Diehl Road - 4:00pm to 8:00pm (meet Brookdale's Team IPEF)
Friday, October 13th
• AIMSweb Plus Scores (from Fall Benchmarking) to be posted on HAC - 4:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Saturday, October 21, 2017 – Kid’s Naperville Marathon – 3:00pm
• Sunday, October 22, 2017 – Naperville's Half Marathon – 8:00am (please join us at Mile 13 for the Brookdale Spirit Squad and help us win $500 for our school)
• Tuesday, October 24, 2017 – Picture Retake Day – 8:30am to 11:30am
• Friday, October 27, 2017 – End of First Quarter
• Tuesday, October 31, 2017 – PTA Fall Party – 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Friday, November 3, 2017 – Report Cards Open in HAC – 4:00pm
• Thursday, November 9, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Sunday, November 12, 2017 – Brookdale/McCarty Chorus Field Trip to Chicago Wolves (more info to come)
• Monday, November 13, 2017 – Parent/Teacher Conferences – 8:00am to 8:00pm
Portillo's Family Dinner Night Info (
Rude vs Mean Bullying Defining the Difference (
Watch DOGS T-shirt Order Form (