Principal Update February 3, 2020
DATE February 3, 2020
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Wanted: Brookdale Talent. Get ready to mosey on down to the annual Brookdale Variety Show! The variety show is March 13th! Any interested students in grades 3-5 are welcome to audition on February 11th after school. If your child is interested in auditioning, please complete this form by FEBRUARY 10th. If you have any questions, see attached flier or contact Mr. Rust or Ms. Iwinski (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Per state and federal laws, all students who qualified for English Language Learning support (whether students access support or not), are required to be tested using the state's ACCESS assessment. There are four parts to this test - Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The ACCESS assessment will be given to our Brookdale students beginning January 27 through February 12th. This assessment is very important for our schoolâ€” please make sure your child has a good night's rest and attends school on time every day during this time.
• Brookdale’s Annual School Wide Program is about to begin! Set Sail and Read began on Tuesday January 21st and runs until Friday February 28th. Students will be bringing parent letters home this week which will explain the program in detail. NEW THIS YEAR: Six flags has adopted an e-log for students and parents to use to track students reading. A paper reading log will be distributed to each student with clear directions on how parents can record their child’s reading on the Six Flags website. Any student who completes this will also be eligible for a Kane County Cougar ticket. Any questions please contact email@example.com.
• We are seeing more and more drive-share vehicles coming during arrival and dismissal times. Please ask these drivers to pick up/drop off on the northside of Redfiled. Many of the drivers are not familiar with nor patient enough to go through the car rider lane. Thank you for your support.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Friday, January 31 we have 24% (108 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! We would love to get 50% (248) of our parents to take the survey. More than one parent from each household can take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building. The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, February 3
• ACCESS Testing Contiues this week for students who qualify for English Language Learning (ELL) programming
• Blue Stem Book Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, February 4
• Gym Club for 5th Graders - 8:00am to 8:50am
Wednesday, February 5
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• LMC Book Fair
• Open House (for all students, families and friends) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
Thursday, February 6
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• LMC Book Fair
• PTA Assembly: Harriet Tubman - during the school day
• PTA Enrichment Class (begins today) - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Friday, February 7
• Spirit Day - wear your Brookdale Wear or blue/yellow colors!
• LMC Book Fair
• Men of Brookdale - during lunch and recess
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Feb 11 - Variety Show Auditions - beginning at 3:40pm
• Feb 14 - PTA Friendship Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm (no candy or edible treats to accompany Valentines)
• Feb 17 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Feb 19 to Feb 21 - Brookdale Brainiacs on Display (information coming home soon)
• Feb 21 - PTA STEAM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm (open to all students and their families)
• Feb 27 - NO SCHOOL - Parent/Teacher Conference (by appointment only) from 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Feb 28 - NO SCHOOL for students - District Institute Day
• Mar 10 - Variety Show Rehearsals - begins at 3:40pm
• Mar 13 - Variety Show - 7:00pm
• Mar 19 - Brookdale Chorus joins Hill Spring Concert at HMS - 7:00pm
• Mar 30 - Apr 3 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
Variety Show 2020 Audition Flyer (