Principal Update January 26, 2020
DATE January 26, 2020
Did you know??
Indian Prairie School District #204 schools are participants in the United States Department of Agricultures (USDA's) National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and our food service contract is with a company called OrganicLife. The required components of a "meal" to be offered include: fluid milk, grains, meat/meat alternates, fruits, and vegetables. Students are required to take 3 of the 5 components offered and one component must be a full serving of fruit or vegetable. The cost of the meal is dependent on the meal meeting these required components.
Cashiers are able to remind, but not enforce, students to take a fruit or vegetable. If a student doesn’t have the required meal components, cashiers will charge the student accordingly to maintain compliance with USDA program requirements. For example, if a student only has a chicken sandwich and a milk, they have 3 components (grain, meat and milk) but one of them is not a fruit. If the student does not take the fruit, the student will be charged for an entrée ($3.50) and a milk ($0.60) for a total of $4.10 instead of the cost of the full reimbursable meal if they would have taken a fruit or vegetable. Another example is if they only want a fruit and a milk, they would not be charged the full price for a reimbursable meal but instead $0.75 for the fruit and $0.60 for the milk totaling $1.35.
If you have any questions, please see additional information on Indian Prairie School District #204 Food Service Program here: School Lunches
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Per state and federal laws, all students who qualified for English Language Learning support (whether students access support or not), are required to be tested using the state's ACCESS assessment. There are four parts to this test - Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. The ACCESS assessment will be given to our Brookdale students beginning January 27 through February 12th. This assessment is very important for our schoolâ€” please make sure your child has a good night's rest and attends school on time every day during this time.
• Parents and students are invited to attend “Marijuana 101: What You Need to Know,” from 7 to 8 pm on January 30 in the LMC at Still Middle School, 787 Meadowridge Drive, Aurora. Presenters Matt Cassity (360 Youth Services), Sergeant Rick Krakow (Naperville Police Department), and Officer Edwina Pirela (Aurora Police Department) will share important information regarding health, safety and the new laws related to the recent legalization of marijuana in Illinois. District 204 and the Indian Prairie Parents' Council are hosting this event to help inform the community about this timely topic.
• Brookdale’s Annual School Wide Program is about to begin! Set Sail and Read began on Tuesday January 21st and runs until Friday February 28th. Students will be bringing parent letters home this week which will explain the program in detail. NEW THIS YEAR: Six flags has adopted an e-log for students and parents to use to track students reading. A paper reading log will be distributed to each student with clear directions on how parents can record their child’s reading on the Six Flags website. Any student who completes this will also be eligible for a Kane County Cougar ticket. Any questions please contact email@example.com.
• We are seeing more and more drive-share vehicles coming during arrival and dismissal times. Please ask these drivers to pick up/drop off on the northside of Redfield. Many of the drivers are not familiar with nor patient enough to go through the car rider lane. Thank you for your support.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Sunday, January 19 we have 23% (102 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! We would love to get 50% (248) of our parents to take the survey. More than one parent from each household can take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, the second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, January 27
• ACCESS Testing Begins for students who qualify for English Language Learning (ELL) programming
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
Tuesday, January 28
• PTA Meeting - 7:00pm
Wednesday, January 29
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Fifth Grade Group Photo Pictures - during the school day
• Chess Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, January 30
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, January 31
• Typical Day at Brookdale
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Feb 5 - Feb 7 - LMC Bookfair
• Feb 5 - Open House (for all students, families and friends) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
• Feb 14 - PTA Friendship Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm (no candy or edible treats to accompany Valentines)
• Feb 17 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Feb 19 to Feb 21 - Brookdale Brainiacs on Display (information coming home soon)
• Feb 21 - PTA STEAM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm (open to all students and their families)
• Feb 28 - NO SCHOOL - Parent/Teacher Conference (by appointment only) from 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Feb 29 - NO SCHOOL for students - District Institute Day