Principal Update January 20, 2020
DATE January 20, 2020
Did you know??
There is NO SCHOOL today, Monday, January 20, 2020. Throughout the United States, this is the day we celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. King was a social activist and Baptist minister who played a key role in the American civil rights movement from the mid-1950s until he was assassinated on April 4, 1968. Dr. King sought equality and human rights for African Americans, the economically disadvantaged and all victims of injustice using peaceful protests. He initiated and drove the force behind the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the 1963 March on Washington, which helped bring about legislation such as the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. Dr. King was awarded the Nobel Peach Prize in 1964 and is remembered with a federal holiday the third Monday of every January since 1986.
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• We are seeing more and more drive-share vehicles coming during arrival and dismissal times. Please ask these drivers to pick up/drop off on the northside of Redfiled. Many of the drivers are not familiar with nor patient enough to go through the car rider lane. Thank you for your support.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Sunday, January 19 we have 23% (102 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! We would love to get 50% (248) of our parents to take the survey. More than one parent from each household can take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, the second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, January 20
• NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
Tuesday, January 21
• Third Grade "Learn Not to Burn" program - during the school day
Wednesday, January 22
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Chess Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, January 23
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, January 24
• Busy Bobcat Store - 8:30am to 9:05am
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Jan 28 - PTA Meeting - 7:00pm
• Jan 29 - Fifth Grade Group Photo and Club Pictures - 8:30am to 11:30am
• Feb 5 - Feb 7 - LMC Bookfair
• Feb 5 - Open House (for all students, families and friends) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
• Feb 14 - PTA Friendship Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm (no candy or edible treats to accompany Valentines)
• Feb 17 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Feb 19 to Feb 21 - Brookdale Brainiacs on Display (information coming home soon)
• Feb 21 - PTA STEAM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm (open to all students and their families)
• Feb 28 - NO SCHOOL - Parent/Teacher Conference (by appointment only) from 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Feb 29 - NO SCHOOL for students - District Institute Day
Car Rider Notice (
Brookdale Car Rider Map (