Principal Update December 15, 2019
DATE December 15, 2019
Did you know??
Are you familiar with the phrase "Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear” (Edgar Allan Poe)? With society so invested in social media, we have information at our hands within seconds of something happening. But not all information we read or hear through social media is accurate, correct or even close to the truth. Several years ago, we focused on supporting our Brookdale school and community by thinking before we post something to social media (or believing what is posted). Last week, there were situations district personnel were dealing with where social media shared inaccurate, incomplete or untrue statements. This hindered the ability for authorities to focus solely on the actual situation. Because of this, we would like to repost a reminder to T.H.I.N.K. before you post (or believe) social media.
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Please remember, we have two weeks off for our Winter Break. There is no school from Monday, December 23, 2019 through Monday, January 6, 2020. Students return to school on Tuesday, January 7, 2020! We hope everyone is able to relax, regroup and reconnect with family and friends during this break.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Sunday, December 15, we have 15% (65 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! We would love to get 50% (248) of our parents to take the survey. More than one parent from each household can take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• The Diamond Step Team at WVHS will be hosting their very first Break The Stage Step Competition at WVHS on January 18th, 2020. The step competition and step dance battle will be hosted by celebrity host Bionce Foxx. See attached flier for more information.
• Please know, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, December 16
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:15am
Tuesday, December 17
• Typical day at Brookdale
Wednesday, December 18
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
Thursday, December 19
• Typical Day at Brookdale
Friday, December 20
• End of Second Quarter
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
• PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Dec 23 - Jan 3 - Winter Break
• Jan 6 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - School Improvement Day
• Jan 7 - Classes resume for students
• Jan 10 - Report Cards open in HAC 4:00pm
• Jan 13 - Hill MS Band, Orchestra & Chorus Registration for 5th Grade Students - 4:00pm to 8:00pm
• Jan 20 - NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
• Jan 28 - PTA Meeting - 7:00pm
• Jan 29 - Fifth Grade Group Photo and Club Pictures - 8:30am to 11:30am
• Feb 5 - Open House (for all students, families and friends) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm