Principal Update December 2, 2019
DATE December 1, 2019
Did you know? ?
CORRECTION - Our guest PE teacher is Mr. Morgan. Our apologies for this error.
Mr. Tabisz welcomed a healthy baby girl over break. Ava Grace Tabisz was born on Monday, November 25, 2019. Through Monday, January 27, 2020, Mr. Scott Morgan will be our PE Teacher. You can reach him at email@example.com should you have any questions or concerns regarding gym class for your student.
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• In January, we begin assessing students using various tests to determine if the student would benefit or requires different advanced programming in school. Both Math Accel programing (math instruction at a grade higher than student) and Project Arrow programming (language arts instruction at a more advanced reading level for the student), begin in Third Grade. However, if your student is in third, fourth or fifth grade and does not access either program, they can be assessed again. Either parents or teachers can recommend a student for these assessments. Please see the attached time line and additional information on both programs. Should you have any questions, contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Lindsey Stepper.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Sunday, December 1, we have 10% (45 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! We would love to get 50% (248) of our parents to take the survey. More than one parent from each household can take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• Please know, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, December 2
• Band/Orchestra/Chorus Parent meeting for Current Fifth Grade Students - at Hill MS - 7:00pm
Tuesday, December 3
• typical day at Brookdale
Wednesday, December 4
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies (last session this semester) - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, December 5
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, December 6
• Brookdale Spirit Day - wear your Brookdale wear or blue/yellow colors
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
• PTA Basketball Night - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Dec 11 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Dec 20 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Dec 20 - End of Second Quarter
• Dec 23 - Jan 3 - Winter Break
• Jan 6 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - School Improvement Day
• Jan 7 - Classes resume for students
ES Fall Notification Statement (