Principal Update November 17, 2019
DATE November 17, 2019
Did you know??
Every day, our students go outside for recess. The district has the guideline to use Indoor Recess if the feel like temperature is below 5*. The temperature was below 5* on Tuesday but all other days, the students played outside for 15 minutes before lunch. Teachers love when students get outside and get fresh air and exercise. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather. Hats, gloves/mittens and scarves keep our students warm while outside. When sending these items to school, make sure to label your child's name (even just the last name helps) and/or classroom just in case it is left in the lunchroom or dropped along the way.
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• In January, we begin assessing students using various tests to determine if the student would benefit or requires different advanced programming in school. Both Math Accel programing (math instruction at a grade higher than student) and Project Arrow programming (language arts instruction at a more advanced reading level for the student), begin in Third Grade. However, if your student is in third, fourth or fifth grade and does not access either program, they can be assessed again. Either parents or teachers can recommend a student for these assessments. Please see the attached time line and additional information on both programs. Should you have any questions, contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Lindsey Stepper.
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness.
On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey is administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Friday, November 15, we have 8% (32 parents) from Brookdale who have taken the survey! If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• Have you set up conferences with your child(ren)'s teacher? You can schedule the conferences through your Home Access Center following the directions attached. Please know the online scheduling will be open until November 20th at 11:59pm.
• Please know, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building. The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, November 18
• Second Grade Book Buddies - 8:15am to 8:50am
Tuesday, November 19
• Third Grade "Learn Not to Burn" Program - during the school day
Wednesday, November 20
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, November 21
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Second Grade in-school Field Trip with the Reptile Man - during the school day
• Parent/Teacher Conferences - 4:30pm to 8:00pm
Friday, November 22
• All-School PJ day!
• Fourth Grade Mock Newbery Presentation - during the school day
• Second Grade Walking Field Trip to Tabor Hills - during the school day
• Brookdale Read-in (Drop Everything And Read) - 3:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Nov 25 - NO SCHOOL for Students
• Nov 25 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Nov 26-29 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
• Dec 11 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Dec 20 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Dec 20 - End of Second Quarter
• Dec 23 - Jan 3 - Winter Break
• Jan 6 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - School Improvement Day
• Jan 7 - Classes resume for students
ES Fall Notification Statement (
Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-Up Instructions (