Principal Update November 10, 2019
DATE November 10, 2019
Did you know??
Each school in Illinois has a School Report Card published each fall. Part of the School Report Card involves the results from the Illinois 5 Essential survey. This survey is completed yearly by staff members, parents and the fourth and fifth grade students at Brookdale. Upon receiving this results, Brookdale's leadership team (consisting of 10 staff members) analyze the results and determine actions steps on showing improvement. The survey results from all stakeholders are very important to us and the district . Below, you will find the information on how to take this survey. Please know that we only receive the results from parents if we have 20% of Brookdale parents take the survey. The past few years we have exceeded 20% but have never made it to 50%! This could be year! Please consider taking about 15-20 minutes to answer the questions.
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• As the weather becomes colder and snow in the future, we will see more and more families using our Drop-Off and Pick-Up Lanes on Redfield. Please continue to follow the attached expectations. Don't forget to share these expectations with all care-givers who come to the school. Our first and most important priority is to have all students, staff and family members come and go in a safe manner!
• Please be aware of PAINTED CURBS. When curbs are painted RED - means no stopping, standing, or parking. Waiting there with your foot on the brake, ready to go, is illegal! When the curbs are painted YELLOW - means do not stop in this area. This is an indication that you are within 5 feet of a cross walk. Again, our first and most important priority is safety!
• We Need Your Feedback: Parents across Illinois once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness.
On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey is administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
• Have you set up conferences with your child(ren)'s teacher? You can schedule the conferences through your Home Access Center following the directions attached. Please know the online scheduling will be open until November 20th at 11:59pm.
• Please know, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm . We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, November 11
• Brookdale's Veteran's Day Assembly (for grades 3, 4, and 5) - during the school day
• Beautifying Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, November 12
• PTA General Meeting - 7:00pm
Wednesday, November 13
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Chess Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, November 14
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Fifth Grade Field Trip to Sci-Tech Museum - during the school day
• Therapy Dogs to read with Second Grade - 9:15am to 10:45am
Friday, November 15
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
• PTA Basketball Night - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Nov 21 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Nov 25 - NO SCHOOL for Students
• Nov 25 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Nov 26-29 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
• Dec 11 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Dec 20 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Dec 20 - End of Second Quarter
• Dec 23 - Jan 3 - Winter Break
• Jan 6 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - School Improvement Day
• Jan 7 - Classes resume for students
Parent-Teacher Conference Sign-Up Instructions (
Car Rider Notice (
Brookdale Car Rider Map (