Principal Update October 27, 2019
DATE October 27, 2019
Did you know??
Research has firmly established the relationship between time spent reading and overall reading achievement (Allington, 2014 Cunningham & Stanovich, 1998 Krashen, 2004 and 2011). In fact, high levels of leisure reading and reading success are associated with greater academic, financial, professional, and civic benefits (National Endowment for the Arts, 2007).
Because of this research, Brookdale teachers and staff are adding opportunities for ALL who are at Brookdale to read!!! On Friday, November 1, everyone who is in Brookdale School at 9:30am will stop all activity and read for 15 minutes. When children see adults as readers, they recognize reading is an activity for enjoyment!
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• On Friday, report cards from the first Quarter were posted to your child's Home Access Account.
Please see the attachment if you have not set up your Home Access Center account at this time.
Please see the attachment to learn how to view your child's report card.
To understand the grading scales by grade:
Click here for Third to Fifth Grade
Click here for Second Grade
Click here for First Grade
Click here for Kindergarten
• This Thursday, our PTA and volunteer parents will be hosting our Fall Party. Please know all the fun and treats are covered by the room parent. Also, children are to keep their costumes at home for this party.
• Thank you to our Brookdale families, especially Stephanie Benesh and Gina Secrist, for setting up the Teal Pumpkin Project for our community. The Teal Project allows parents of students with allergies to be aware of homes that are giving allergen-free items for Halloween's Trick or Treat. Please click here for a map to show homes participating in this project.
• Calling all United States Veterans or current military personnel!!! Brookdale Elementary School staff and students would like to invite family members who are Veterans or current United States military members to an assembly honoring our men and women of the United States Armed Forces. The assembly will be Monday, November 11th at 9:45 a.m. in the Brookdale gymnasium. The assembly is for 3rd-5th grade students if you are a US Veteran and current military personnel and your student is younger than 3rd grade, he/she is welcome to attend the assembly with you please get teacher permission. We are looking for speakers for this assembly. Please let us know if you or another military veteran/personnel is interested in speaking for 5-10 minutes and answer some questions. We ask veterans and military personnel interested in attending our assembly to Click here in order to fill out a brief Google Survey by Friday, November 1. Please feel free to contact Mrs. Ouellette with any questions.
• BOX TOPS is now digital so we have an app for that AND Brookdale PTA receives DOUBLE $$ when you use the app and scan your receipt within 14 days of purchase BUT WAIT... there are still plenty of box tops on products that can be clipped and sent into the school. The PALS club along with the box top coordinator will ensure that your box tops are submitted for even more $$! For more information about what BOX TOPS is and how it helps our school, please Click here.
• Please know, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School @BrookdaleBobcat and Brookdale LMC @brookdalelmc on Twitter . We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, October 28
• Typical day at Brookdale
Tuesday, October 29
• Typical day at Brookddale
Wednesday, October 30
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Brookdale Buddies - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, October 31
• PTA Fall Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
Friday, November 1
• Brookdale Spirit Day - wear your Brookdale Spirit wear or colors blue/yellow
• Brookdale Reads - D.E.A.R. (Drop Everything And Read event) - 9:30am!!!
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Nov 1 - Parent/Teacher Conference Sign-Up available through Home Access Center
• Nov 8 - PTA World Cultural Fair - 6:30pm to 8:30pm
• Nov 11 - Brookdale's Veteran's Day Assembly (for grades 3, 4, and 5) - during the school day
• Nov 12 - PTA General Meeting - 7:00pm
• Nov 21 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Nov 25 - NO SCHOOL for Students
• Nov 25 - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Nov 26-29 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
HAC Claim Account (
Printing Report Cards (