Principal Update September 22, 2019
DATE September 22, 2019
DID YOU KNOW??
• As of Friday, enrollment at Brookdale includes 491 studentsâ€” 251 males and 240 females.
• The diversity of our families are as follows:
o Asian - 19%
o Black - 11%
o Hispanic - 16%
o Native American/Pacific Islander - .5%
o Two or more races - 6%
o White - 47.5%
• The language of our families are as follows:
o 37% of our families speak a language outside of English in their homes.
o There are a total of 24 different languages spoken by our Brookdale students and families.
o The top five languages spoken by our Brookdale families - outside of English - are:
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• We are looking for your feedback. This year, we initiated a different Curriculum Night setup and established a stronger arrival and dismissal procedure for our Car Rider Lane. Click on this link to complete this brief survey to share your feedback so we can improve our procedure for both initiatives. This will be the last week to provide feedback.
• Many parents providing feedback have questioned why the Car Lane comes only from Bainbridge and not south Redfield. In May 2019, District 204 Director of Safety, District 204 Director of Transportation and myself observed several days of the Car Lane during arrival and dismissal. One huge problem noted occurred due to cars coming from south Redfield. Although Redfield is a wider street, parking is allowed on both sides of the street. Many parents use these spots to park to pick up students from the building, which is allowed by the City of Naperville and not something we can change or enforce differently. Because cars do park on each side of Redfield, cars waiting to enter the Car Rider Lane from south Redfield appear to be double parked, not allowing a flow of traffic. Often the school buses or day care vans were stuck behind these cars which delayed their routes. However, the City of Naperville does restrict parking on the west side of Bainbridge during our arrival and dismissal. This gives more wiggle room for the flow of traffic. Please know that we are restricted by what the City of Naperville regulates with their parking signs to determine a successful flow of traffic. If you have specific questions after being aware of the reasoning, please feel free to contact Mrs. Howicz.
• The Indian Prairie Parent Council is holding their annual Winter Clothing drive from September 19 through September 30. There is a box located inside the doorway at Door #1 for families to leave donations of gently used coats, hats, scarves and gloves/mittens. We appreciate your support during this drive.
• PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE share the car rider lane expectations with whoever picks up your child(ren) from school. We continue to have one to three cars parked in the middle of the lane each afternoon who are NOT Brookdale parents but grandparents or caregivers. We appreciate your assistance.
• Please remember, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• The first bell each morning rings at 8:50am (9:00am on Wednesday). This bell is when students can enter the building, The second bell rings at 9:05am (9:15am on Wednesday). Students need to be in their classrooms at this bellâ€” otherwise, they are marked tardy. Please plan your mornings accordingly.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, September 23
• Bus Evacuation Drills for ALL students - during the school day
• Last day to order PTA Spiritwear - closes at 11:59pm tonight
Tuesday, September 24
• Erin's Law Parent Information Night for Parents of Kindergarten, First and Second Grade Students - Owen Elementary School (1560 Westglen Drive, Naperville, IL) at 7:00pm
Wednesday, September 25
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• Chess Club - 3:45pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, September 26
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
Friday, September 27
• Girl's Running Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Week of September 30 - ALL second and fifth grade students to take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) - see attached letter for additional information
• Oct 3 – PTA Fun Run - all day
• Oct 11 - PTA Donut with Dads - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Oct 14 - NO SCHOOL - Columbus Day
• Oct 16 - Family Reading Night (an event for all Brookdale students and families)- 6:30pm to 8:00pm
• Oct 18 - End of First Quarter
• Oct 22 - Picture Retake Day
• Oct 25 - Report Cards posted to Home Access Center (HAC) - 4:00pm
• Oct 31 - PTA Fall Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
2020 CogAT7 Parent Notification Letter_2nd 5th (
2020 CogAT7 Parent Notification Letter 2-5 SPANISH (