Principal's Summer Update - August 18, 2019
DATE August 18, 2019
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Are you ready for school?? We are!!!!
• On Saturday, an email was sent outlining the new procedure we will follow for our car rider lane. Please be sure to read the attached flier and Brookdale map. We need everyone to follow the expectations from the first day. We will have staff on hand to enforce and supervise the new procedure. We appreciate the support from all parents and families.
• Please remember, the parking lot is restricted to only buses, day care vans and carpools during the times of 8:40am to 9:15am and 3:15pm to 3:45pm. We appreciate everyone following this expectation.
• On Wednesday, August 21, we will hold our annual Curriculum Night. We are changing this a bit as well. The schedule for the night will be as follows:
o 6:00pm - all ELL and any NEW to PA families will come for separate presentations on these programs.
o 6:30pm - each grade level teacher will present on the curriculum for their grade and expectations for their classroom
o 7:00pm - each grade level will showcase their curriculum with hands-on activities and lessons. This will be a learning opportunity to experience what your child experiences while engaged in lessons of English Language Arts, Math and Social-Emotional Learning through Second Step. In addition, there will be information about our Reading Acceleration and Math Acceleration support for students.
o 7:30pm - each grade level teacher will repeat the presentation given at 6:30pm.
Our teachers have been working hard at getting ready for the school year but also developing a strong program for parents so all families have a better understanding of what our curriculum entails. We are excited to give this new format a try on Wednesday, August 21.
• Carpool option is available to all who have at least four Brookdale students in their car. We only have slots for 8 carpools. If you receive a carpool number, you can bypass the car rider lane on Redfield and enter through the parking lot (with buses and day care vans). Please complete the attached application and return to the school office to apply. We will confirm once a number has been assigned to your carpool.
• As children arrive to school as walkers or car riders, they are to enter the building from the playground through either Door #10 or #9, whichever is closest to the direction they are coming from. Students who are walkers or car riders are dismissed as follows: Door #10 for KDG and First. Door #9 for Second and Third. Door #8 for Fourth and Fifth. All bus riders, carpoolers and day care van riders enter and exit at Door #2 with supervising staff at all doorways.
• This year's school calendar is online at 2019-20 Calendar.Please note, legislative changes allowed the Board of Education to revise the 2019-20 school calendar to eliminate the half days that were designated for school improvement and teacher work days. The days have been combined to create full days off for students. The start of school remains August 19, 2019 and classes are still set to tentatively end on May 28, 2020 if no emergency days are used.
• Changes to Library Procedures: The Indian Prairie School District will be updating the overdue/lost book procedures across all libraries in the district. If a book is 90 days overdue, lost, or damaged, families will be automatically charged through PushCoin the purchase price of the book. Please be aware that this is a computer generated charge that will be automatically applied to the student’s PushCoin account.
The Brookdale LMC will continue to send home weekly overdue book slips. Please contact the LMC office at 630-428-6805 or Lisa Furstenau @ email@example.com if you believe your child has received an overdue slip in error. We will investigate and correct if applicable before the 90 day charge is applied.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK:
Monday, August 19
• First Day of School for all First through Fifth Grade Students - teachers will meet students on the playground
• Kindergarten Orientation with Class Teachers - by appointment only (for Parents and Students to attend) - please enter at Door #1. IDs will be needed to receive a visitor pass.
Tuesday, August 20
• First Full Day of School for all Kindergarten Students - all teachers will meet students on the playground
• PTA Yahoo/Boohoo Coffee in the MPR (enter through Door #8) - 9:15am to 10:00am
Wednesday, August 21
• Late Start - First bell rings at 9:00am with tardy bell ringing at 9:15am
• KDG Teachers will meet students on the playground
• First through Fifth grade students will enter at the nearest arrival doorway
• We will practice our first Lockdown Drill as a school
• Curriculum Night for Parents - 6:00pm for ELL and New to PA Parents and 6:30pm to 8:00pm for all families
Thursday, August 22
• We will practice our first Fire Drill as a school
Friday, August 23
• We will practice our first Severe Weather Drill as a school
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Sept 2 – NO SCHOOL – Labor Day
• Sept 3 – NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS – Teacher Institute Day
• Sept 4 – School Picture day – envelopes for ordering will come home with students
• Sept 6 – Spirit Day - Wear your Brookdale Spirit Wear OR Blue/Yellow
• Sept 18 – PTA Meeting 7:00pm
• Sept 19 – PTA Fun Run Kick-off - in school
• Sept 23 – Bus Evacuation Drill – 9:30-11am
• Oct 3 – PTA Fun Run
Car Rider Notice (
Brookdale Car Rider Map (
Carpool Application (