Principal's Summer Update - August 6, 2019
DATE August 6, 2019
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• The first day of school is Monday, August 19, 2019. This year's school calendar is online at in 2019-20 Calendar. Please note, legislative changes allowed the Board of Education to revise the 2019-20 school calendar to eliminate the half days that were designated for school improvement and teacher work days. The days have been combined to create full days off for students. The start of school remains August 19, 2019 and classes are still set to tentatively end on May 28, 2020 if no emergency days are used.
• Beginning this week, our office is open from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
• We are still working on registration of new and returning Brookdale students. Please check with your friends and neighbors and ask if they are fully registered. If not fully registered, students will not be assigned to a class/teacher by August 12 at 4:00pm. All fully registered students will be able to find their class/teacher through Home Access Center after 4pm on August 12. We ask all registration paperwork and steps are completed by Friday, August 9 by 3:00pm in order for us to assign classes by this date and time.
• Bus route information will be available in Home Access Center no later than August 12. Please know that the start of each school year brings with it the potential for some overcrowding on buses. During the first few weeks of school, rider counts fluctuate as students explore their various methods of transportation. We ask for your patience as bus drivers and school administrators take daily head counts of high volume routes and adjustments are made to route assignments. Please allow at least 10 minutes for a late bus before calling school. Answers to common transportation questions are online at Transportation FAQ. If you have further questions regarding transportation, please contact Cindy Minch or Eva Fiala at Brookdale.
• Reminders about Bus Transportation:
BUS STOP TIMES: Your child’s route will be assigned an approximate pick-up and drop-off time. This time may change. Times can vary during the first week and usually a routine is established after the first two weeks.
BUS STOP: Show your child where the bus stop is and how to walk home from the bus stop from all possible directions to avoid confusion.
WRONG BUS: Teach your child to tell the bus driver if they believe they are on the wrong bus. Have a conversation about what to do if they get off at the wrong stop or if someone is not home when they arrive. Make sure your child knows they should walk directly home after school unless an alternate plan was discussed. Parents may become worried if children simply stop to play at a neighbor’s house on their way home from the bus stop without letting parents know in advance.
RIDING ANOTHER BUS: Students are only allowed to ride their assigned bus. Friends riding with friends on an unassigned bus will not be allowed.
ITEMS NOT ALLOWED ON THE BUS: Have a conversation with your child about making good choices about what can be brought on the bus. Hazardous materials of any kind will not be allowed and student discipline will occur. Such items include, but are not limited to, scissors, pocket knives, tools of any kind, sharp objects and any igniter for fire.
• Changes to Library Procedures: The Indian Prairie School District will be updating the overdue/lost book procedures across all libraries in the district. If a book is 90 days overdue, lost, or damaged, families will be automatically charged through PushCoin the purchase price of the book. Please be aware that this is a computer generated charge that will be automatically applied to the student’s PushCoin account.
The Brookdale LMC will continue to send home weekly overdue book slips. Please contact the LMC office at 630-428-6805 or Lisa Furstenau @ firstname.lastname@example.org if you believe your child has received an overdue slip in error. We will investigate and correct if applicable before the 90 day charge is applied.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, August 12, 2019 - Summer Checkout in LMC - 9:30am to 11:00am
• Monday, August 12, 2019 - Chromebook Deployment for incoming 2nd Graders and New-to-Brookdale 3rd-5th Graders - 11:15am to 11:45am AND 5:30pm to 6:00pm - Register at this link here.
• Monday, August 12, 2019 - Teacher Assignments posted to HAC at 4pm
• Monday, August 12, 2019 - New-to-Brookdale Orientation - 6:15pm to 7:15pm - Register at this link here.
• Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - District 204 Annual Support Services Kindergarten Day - Still MS - 9:00am to 11:30am AND 1:30pm to 4:00pm (see attached flier for more information)
• Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - Brookdale's Meet and Greet - 9:15am to 10:00am
• Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - Brookdale's Ice-Cream Social - 9:30am to 10:15am
• Monday, August 19, 2019 - First Day of School for all First through Fifth Grade Students
• Monday, August 19, 2019 - Kindergarten Orientation with Class Teachers - by appointment only (for Parents and Students to attend)
• Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - First Full Day of School for all Kindergarten Students
• Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - Curriculum Night for Parents - 6:30pm to 8:00pm (ELL and New-to-PA Parents
Kindergarten Preview Flyer 2019 (