Principal Update February 10, 2019
DATE February 10, 2019
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Brookdale talent is Out of This World! Get ready for the annual Brookdale Talent Show! The talent show is March 15th! Any interested students in grades 3-5 are welcome to audition on February 20th after school. If your child is interested in auditioning, please complete this form by FEBRUARY 15th. If you have any questions, see attached flier or contact Mr. Rust or Ms. Iwinski (email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org).
• The John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School on the Aurora University campus serves students in third through eighth grades in the Batavia, East Aurora, Indian Prairie and West Aurora school districts. Parents of second grade students currently enrolled in these districts who are interested in applying for a space for their student at the STEM Partnership School for the 2019–2020 school year are invited to attend an upcoming parent information meeting. The meeting will be held at Aurora University, University Banquet Hall on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6 p.m. For more information, please visit the District's website.
• Read to the Summit! Brookdale's school-wide annual reading incentive program sponsored by the Kane County Cougars and Six Flags Great America is about to begin. Each individual climber’s (student's) goal is 600 minutes of reading between January 8th th and February 19th. All students who reach this goal will receive a ticket for Six Flags Great America Amusement park to be used in the summer and a ticket voucher for a Kane County Cougars baseball game (includes a t-shirt, hot dog and soft drink). Ticket and vouchers from all sponsors will be distributed in the spring to those students who turn in their tally sheet of 600 or more minutes at the end of the program. Packets were sent home with students on Tuesday, January 8. Any questions please contact email@example.com.
• This is the last week for parents to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of today, we have 35% of our parents (160total) who have completed the survey. Thank you for your continued support and feedback. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “DuPage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until February 15, 2019 to participate in the survey.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, February 11, 2019
• ACCESS Testing (for students who qualify for English Language Learning Program) continue this week
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:15am to 8:50am
• Fifth Grade Group Picture and Club Pictures (rescheduled) - 9:00am to 11:30am
• Bluestem Book Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Beautifying Brookdale Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, February 12, 2019
• Fourth Grade Gym Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
Wednesday, February 13, 2019
• Late Start Day - First bell rings at 9:00amâ€” Tardy bell rings at 9:15am
• Chess Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Thursday, February 14, 2019
• Third Grade "Learn Not to Burn" Program - during the school day
• PTA Classroom Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
Friday, February 15, 2019
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, February 18, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - Brainiacs Displays (throughout the week)
• Friday, February 22, 2019 - PTA STEM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm
• Thursday, February 28, 2019 - Parent/Teacher Conferences (as needed only) - 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Friday, March 1, 2019 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - Teacher Institute Day
• Monday, March 4, 2019 - Kindergarten Orientation Parent Night (for incoming Kindergarten families) - 7:00pm
• Monday, March 25 through Tuesday, April 1, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
• Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - School Improvement Day
Talent Show Flyer 2019 - Google Doc (