Principal Update February 3, 2019
DATE February 3, 2019
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• We are looking forward to a normal week! Having our students back in a routine is just what we all need!
• We are looking forward to seeing all of our Brookdale families and students on Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at our Annual Open House. The purpose of the Open House is for our students to showcase all they have been learning thus far and welcome families to our school! The Open House will be held from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. Please know that parking will be limited and all who park in the parking lot MUST be in a designated parking spot. Please do not park in the fire lane in front of the building.
• This is a friendly reminder to keep dogs (animals) at home during arrival or departure. Animals can be unpredictable during stressful or crowded times. This policy is for the safety of our students, staff and families. We appreciate you respecting this policy and following it daily.
• Brookdale talent is Out of This World! Get ready for the annual Brookdale Talent Show! The talent show is March 15th! Any interested students in grades 3-5 are welcome to audition on February 20th after school. If your child is interested in auditioning, please complete this form by FEBRUARY 15th. If you have any questions, see attached flier or contact Mr. Rust or Ms. Iwinski (email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org).
• The John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School on the Aurora University campus serves students in third through eighth grades in the Batavia, East Aurora, Indian Prairie and West Aurora school districts. Parents of second grade students currently enrolled in these districts who are interested in applying for a space for their student at the STEM Partnership School for the 2019–2020 school year are invited to attend an upcoming parent information meeting. The meeting will be held at Aurora University, University Banquet Hall on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6 p.m. For more information, please visit the District's website.
• Read to the Summit! Brookdale's school-wide annual reading incentive program sponsored by the Kane County Cougars and Six Flags Great America is about to begin. Each individual climber’s (student's) goal is 600 minutes of reading between January 8th th and February 19th. All students who reach this goal will receive a ticket for Six Flags Great America Amusement park to be used in the summer and a ticket voucher for a Kane County Cougars baseball game (includes a t-shirt, hot dog and soft drink). Ticket and vouchers from all sponsors will be distributed in the spring to those students who turn in their tally sheet of 600 or more minutes at the end of the program. Packets were sent home with students on Tuesday, January 8. Any questions please contact email@example.com.
• Parents, students and teachers across Illinois will once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of today, we have 34% of our parents (153total) who have completed the survey. Thank you for your continued support and feedback. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “DuPage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until February 15, 2019 to participate in the survey.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, February 4, 2019
• PA Testing begins this week
• ACCESS Testing (for students who qualify for English Language Learning Program) begins this week
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Bluestem Book Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
• Fifth Grade Gym Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• PALS 5th Grade Club - during recess
• Third Grade "Learn Not to Burn Program" - During the school day
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
• Late Start Day - First bell rings at 9:00amâ€” Tardy bell rings at 9:15am
• Book Fair - 9:00am to 8:00pm (open during Open House)
• Therapy Dogs are in the house - 9:30am to 11:00am
• OPEN HOUSE - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
Thursday, February 7, 2019
• Book Fair - 9:00am to 3:00pm
• Fifth Grade Human Growth Student Presentation - during the school day
Friday, February 8, 2019
• Busy Bobcat Store (in the gym) - 8:30am to 9:05am
• Book Fair - 9:00am to 12:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, February 11, 2019 (rescheduled) Fifth Grade Group Picture and Club Pictures - 9:00am to 11:30am
• Monday, February 18, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
• Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - Brainiacs Displays (throughout the week)
• Friday, February 22, 2019 - PTA STEM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm
• Thursday, February 28, 2019 - Parent/Teacher Conferences (as needed only) - 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Friday, March 1, 2019 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - Teacher Institute Day
• Monday, March 4, 2019 - Kindergarten Orientation Parent Night (for incoming Kindergarten families) - 7:00pm
• Monday, March 25 through Tuesday, April 1, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
• Tuesday, April 2, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - School Improvement Day
Talent Show Flyer 2019 - Google Doc (