Principal Update January 13, 2019
DATE January 13, 2019
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE: \
• The John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School on the Aurora University campus serves students in third through eighth grades in the Batavia, East Aurora, Indian Prairie and West Aurora school districts. Parents of second grade students currently enrolled in these districts who are interested in applying for a space for their student at the STEM Partnership School for the 2019–2020 school year are invited to attend an upcoming parent information meeting. The meeting will be held at Aurora University, University Banquet Hall on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6 p.m. For more information, please visit the District's website.
• On Thursday, January 17th your Brookdale PTA is hosting an assembly on Martin Luther King, Jr. With the help of a theater company, an actor will portray major events and messages from MLK's life. Last year Historical Perspectives did a wonderful job with a very engaging and fun program about Benjamin Franklin so we’re excited to have them again this year. Don't forget to ask your kids on Thursday what they learned!
• Read to the Summit! Brookdale’s school-wide annual reading incentive program sponsored by the Kane County Cougars and Six Flags Great America is about to begin. Each individual climber’s (student's) goal is 600 minutes of reading between January 8th th and February 19th. All students who reach this goal will receive a ticket for Six Flags Great America Amusement park to be used in the summer and a ticket voucher for a Kane County Cougars baseball game (includes a t-shirt, hot dog and soft drink). Ticket and vouchers from all sponsors will be distributed in the spring to those students who turn in their tally sheet of 600 or more minutes at the end of the program. Packets were sent home with students on Tuesday, January 8. Any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
• On Tuesday, January 15th, 7-9:00 pm, at CEC, PDAC will host a meeting, Parent Engagement: Parenting the Whole Child. This meeting is open to all District staff and families. On Saturday, February 2nd, 3:00 pm, at Metea Valley High School, PDAC will host a free screening of Screenagers: Growing Up in the Digital Age. For more information or to attend the event, please visit HERE!
• Parents, students and teachers across Illinois will once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of today, we have 28% of our parents (142 total) who have completed the survey. I would LOVE to get to 50% of our parents - that would be 252 parents!!! If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until February 15, 2019 to participate in the survey.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, January 14, 2019
• Benchmarking Assessments for all KDG students.
• Chorus practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Second Grade Book Bunch - 8:15am to 8:50am
• Beautifying Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm (PLEASE NOTE UPDATED ENDING TIME)
• Bluestem Book Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Band/Orchestra Registration at Hill MS (for current Fifth Grade students) - 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
• Benchmarking Assessments for all First Grade students.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
• Late Start Day - First bell rings at 9:00amâ€” Tardy bell rings at 9:15am
• Therapy Dogs - 9:30am to 11:00am
Thursday, January 17, 2019
• PTA Assembly "Martin Luther King, Jr." - during the school day
Friday, January 18, 2019
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Men of Brookdale - during lunch and recess
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, January 21, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Martin Luther King, Jr Birthday
• Thursday, January 31, 2019 - Fifth Grade Group Picture and Club Pictures - 9:00am to 11:30am
• Wednesday, February 6, 2019 - Open House (for all families and students) - 6:30pm to 8:00pm
• Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - Brainiacs Displays (throughout the week)
• Friday, February 22, 2019 - PTA STEM Night - 6:30pm to 8:30pm
• Thursday, February 28, 2019 - Parent/Teacher Conferences (as needed only) - 1:00pm to 8:00pm
• Friday, March 1, 2019 - NO SCHOOL for STUDENTS - Teacher Institute Day
• Monday, March 4, 2019 - Kindergarten Orientation Parent Night (for incoming Kindergarten families) - 7:00pm