Principal Update November 27, 2018
DATE November 26, 2018
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• For the fifth year in a row, we are providing assistance to family's in need for the holidays. In partnership with the Community Christian Church, Brookdale and Longwood host a "Gift Mart" for needy families. Organizations, businesses and families around Naperville, Aurora, Joliet and Bolingbrook areas donate brand new toys to Gift Mart. This allows families, who are personally invited, to shop at Gift Mart for a cost of $2 per toy. Brookdale will have a donation box outside the office if any of our families would like to help out this program. Please contact Mrs. Howicz for additional information.
• With winter comes snow....or almost winter this year! Please know that students will go outside as often as possible, even on snowy days. The district policy is to have indoor recess if the temperature is below 5 degrees (with wind chill) or if conditions outside are unsafe for students. Please be sure to have your child bring (or wear) boots, hats, gloves and warm coats. It is up to parents if they want their child to have on snow pants and scarf to maintain their warmth while outside or playing in the snow.
• Parents, students and teachers across Illinois will once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Friday, we have 21% of our parents (105 total) who have completed the survey. I would LOVE to get to 50% of our parents - that would be 253 parents!!! If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit this link
2. Type and select “DuPage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until January to participate in the survey.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, November 26, 2018
• SNOW DAY
Tuesday, November 27, 2018
• Box Top Club for 5th Grade - during recess
Wednesday, November 28, 2018
• Late Start Day - First bell rings at 9:00amâ€” Tardy bell rings at 9:15am
Thursday, November 29, 2018
• Typical day at Brookdale
Friday, November 30, 2018
• Third Grade's On Your Own - during the school day
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Wednesday, December 12 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Friday, December 21 - End of Second Quarter
• Friday, December 21 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Monday, December 24 through Friday, January 4, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
• Monday, January 7, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Teacher Institute Day
• Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - Students Return to School after Winter Break