Principal Update November 11, 2018
DATE November 11, 2018
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY CONCERN: Several students and parents with students have been observed crossing the street to the north side of Redfield Road outside of the cross walk with the Crossing Guard. This is very dangerous. We ask all parents and students to cross the street at the Crosswalk with the Crossing Guard if parents are parking on the north side of the street. Our street is way too congested to have this practice continue.
• Parents, students and teachers across Illinois will once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. As of Friday, we have 8% of our parents (40 total) who have completed the survey. We need a total of 102 parents to complete the survey for it to count on our school report card. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. 1. Visit this link
2. Type and select “DuPage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that affect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until January to participate in the survey.
• School attendance is essential to academic success. As you review your child's first quarter report cards, you may also check your child's attendance in Home Access. Direction on checking your child's report card and attendance are located here. Did you know that absenteeism in the first month of school can predict attendance throughout the school year? Research shows that half the students who miss 2-4 days in September go on to miss nearly a month of school by the end of the year. (attendanceworks.org) Remember any lost class time, whether excused or unexcused results in missed learning opportunities. Help your children develop positive habits for attendance from an early age! For more information or assistance with improving your child's attendance, please contact your classroom teacher or school principal.
• District 204 is partnering with local law enforcement agencies for a School Safety Community Night presentation from 7 to 8 pm on Wednesday, November 14 at Waubonsie Valley High School. Safety topics include what parents should teach their younger children to help keep them safe, the district’s partnership with police and how school resource officers work with staff and students, ALICE training in schools, a new program that involves a school safety dog, and how students and parents can report safety concerns. All District 204 parents are invited to attend this event. Children are encouraged to attend at their parents’ discretion. An RSVP is appreciated, but not required at this link.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, November 12, 2018
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• Second Grade Book Club - 8:15am to 8:45am
• Beautifying Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• PTA Family Dinner Night at Chipotle (on Diehl) - 11:00am to 8:00pm
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
• Fifth Grade Field Trip to SciTech Museum - during school day
• Growth & Development Presentation - for Parents of Fifth Grade students - Owen Elementary School- 7:00pm
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
• Late Start Wednesday - first bell rings at 9:00amâ€” all students to be in their classroom by 9:15am
• PTA Book Fair - 9:30am to 3:30pm
• Chess Club - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• District Safety Presentation at WVHS - 7:00pm to 8:00pm
Thursday, November 15, 2018
• PTA Book Fair- 9:15am to 5:30pm
• World Music Tour Assembly - during school day
• Brookdale Buddies - 3:40pm to 4:30pm
• Growth & Development Presentation - for Parents of Fifth Grade students - Young Elementary School - 7:00pm
Friday, November 16, 2018
• PTA Book Fair - 9:15am to 12:00pm and 7:00pm to 8:30pm
• Fifth Grade Tech Club - 8:00am to 8:50am
• Men at Brookdale - during recess and lunch
• PTA World at Brookdale Cultural Event (open for all Brookdale families and students) - 7:00pm to 8:30pm
Saturday, November 17, 2018
• PTA Mistletoe Market - 9:00am to 1:00pm
• PTA Book Fair - 9:00am to 1:00pm
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Wednesday, November 21 through Friday, November 23 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
• Wednesday, December 12 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Friday, December 21 - End of Second Quarter
• Friday, December 21 - PTA Winter Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
• Monday, December 24 through Friday, January 4, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
• Monday, January 7, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Teacher Institute Day
• Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - Students Return to School after Winter Break