Principal Update October 28, 2018
DATE October 28, 2018
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• Parents, students and teachers across Illinois will once again have an opportunity to participate in the annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. This survey is designed to generate a detailed picture of the inner workings of your child’s school as it relates to the important elements of school effectiveness. On behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education, the Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online by the University of Chicago. All survey responses will be kept confidential. The state will provide survey results for individual schools only if a school has at least 20 percent of parents take the survey. If you have children attending more than one school, we ask that you complete the survey for each school.
To take this short survey:
1. Visit this link
2. Type and select “Dupage” as "County." (The county is the location of the school district's main office.)
3. Type your school's name into the "School" field and select your school.
The Illinois 5Essentials Survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are ten times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators that effect school success are effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction. Parents will have until January to participate in the survey.
• District 204 is partnering with local law enforcement agencies for a School Safety Community Night presentation from 7 to 8 pm on Wednesday, November 14 at Waubonsie Valley High School. Safety topics include what parents should teach their younger children to help keep them safe, the district’s partnership with police and how school resource officers work with staff and students, ALICE training in schools, a new program that involves a school safety dog, and how students and parents can report safety concerns. All District 204 parents are invited to attend this event. Children are encouraged to attend at their parents’ discretion. An RSVP is appreciated, but not required at this link.
• Metea Valley High School's Theatre is performing Alice in Wonderland the first weekend in November. Performances are held in the Auditorium at the MVHS: Friday, November 2nd at 7pm, Saturday, November 3rd at 2pm and 7pm and Sunday, November 4th at 2pm. In addition, MVHS is hosting a special event: Tea with Alice at 12pm on Saturday, November 3rd. It will start at 12pm and conclude at 1:30, just before the 2pm show. Tickets are $10 and will include, treats, drinks and fun activities, as well as photos and autographs with some of the cast members. Children under 2 are free. Tickets can be purchased at this link or by scanning the QR code on the attached flyer.
• On October 23rd, the Parent Diversity Advisory Council (PDAC) hosted the conversation: Parent Engagement: Communication and Advocacy. We discussed ways to celebrate parent engagement and shared potential solutions to enhance communicative efforts between home and school. The meeting slides can be found HERE. Please consider joining us at a future PDAC meeting. The PDAC Calendar is available on the PDAC subpage.
• Calling all United States Veterans or Military Personnel... the Brookdale Veterans' Day Assembly will be held on Friday, November 9th from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the gym. The Third, Fourth and Fifth grade students and staff of Brookdale Elementary School would like to invite U.S. Veterans or active military who are family members of any Brookdale student or staff member to the assembly. If you know of or are a Veteran or current military member and would like to attend the assembly, please fill out this Google Survey by Friday, November 2. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Ouellette at email@example.com.
• On Friday, October 26, student report cards were posted on the Home Access Center (HAC) after 4:00pm. In order to view the report card, parents need to have set up the HAC account. Directions are attached on how to do this. If you need assistance, please contact Mrs. Minch or Mrs. Fiala in the main office.
• ELL report cards are also available in the Home Access Center this school year. They are located in the “Grades” tab, along with the district report card.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, October 29, 2018
• Chorus Practice - 7:50am to 8:50am
• FUN RUN Assembly on Matt Wilhelm - during school day
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
• Wear red in support of Mrs. Skowronski (Teacher Assistant) and her family #SKRONKSTRONG
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
• Late Start Wednesday - first bell rings at 9:00amâ€” all students to be in their classroom by 9:15am
• Second Grade Field Trip to Morton Arboretum
• PTA Fall Party - 2:30pm to 3:20pm
Thursday, November 1, 2018
• Parent/Teacher Conferences - 4:30pm to 8:00pm
Friday, November 2, 2018
• Men of Brookdale - during recess and lunch
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, November 5 - NO SCHOOL for Students - Parent/Teacher Conferences - 8:00am to 3:00pm and 4:30pm to 8:00pm
• Tuesday, November 6 - NO SCHOOL - Election Day
• Thursday, November 8 - PTA General Meeting - 7:00pm
• Wednesday, November 14 - District Safety Presentation at WVHS - 7:00pm - 8:00pm
• Friday, November 16 - PTA World at Brookdale event (Open for all Brookdale students and families)
• Saturday, November 17 - PTA Mistletoe Market
• Wednesday, November 21 through Friday, November 23 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving Break
• Wednesday, December 12 - Winter Chorus Program - 7:00pm
• Monday, December 24 through Friday, January 4, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
• Monday, January 7, 2019 - NO SCHOOL - Teacher Institute Day
• Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - Students Return to School after Winter Break
HAC Claim Account (
Alice In Wonderland - MVHS (