Principal Update August 26, 2018
HAPPENINGS AT BROOKDALE:
• This week, we have had many new parents who parked on Redfield Road within our Kiss-n-Ride lanes during arrival or dismissal. We again are asking all parents, even if you watch this prior, to review the Brookdale Drop Off Video found on our Brookdale Website here. If you see someone getting out of their car, respectfully guide them to where they can park. This will help us in the long run to continue to have a safe and smooth arrival and departure of our students.
• The Naperville Police Department has provided safety tips for motorists as children will once again be walking to school through neighborhoods, waiting at bus stops and being dropped off at schools by parents. The beginning of the school year is an especially important time to check your driving behavior and ensure you are practicing the safest driving habits. Motorists can assist with keeping children safe when headed back-to-school by following these tips:
o Plan ahead and leave home earlier than normal to allow enough time to reach your destination without rushing.
o Always come to a complete stop at stop signs, and be sure to check carefully for children on sidewalks and in crosswalks before proceeding. Be sure to obey crossing guards and student safety patrols.
o Slow Down! Remember, school speed zones are reduced for a reason. When entering a school zone, slow down to 20 mph and be extra alert for children on foot and on bicycles.
o Being cautious when approaching school buses. It is illegal to proceed around a school bus with the stop sign arm engaged. Please be patient as children enter and exit school buses.
o Eliminate distractions. Leave time in the morning to eat and groom before entering your vehicle and stay off the phone while driving. As a reminder, Illinois bans the use of all hand-held devices while driving in Illinois as well as texting while driving.
o Follow each school’s traffic and parking plans and signage. If you have questions or want more information on your school’s traffic and parking plan, please contact your school.
o Lock your car doors and remove valuables before exiting your vehicle at schools and daycares. Even if you’ll only be gone for a brief time, leaving valuables in plain sight or leaving your doors unlocked is an invitation for thieves.
• There are two weeks left for students to sign up for the Team IPEF Kids Marathon which will be held on Saturday, October 20, 2018. The deadline for registering is September 3, 2018. So far we have 6 runners signed up from Brookdale. There is a $1,000 award going to the school with the most runners. That award is generously provided by Mathnasium of Naperville. See the attached flier for more information. The link to register is here.
• All second, third, fourth and fifth grade students will receive a Chromebook to use at school and at home. Please make sure your student brings their Chromebook fully charged with case attached on the first day of school. If your student has not yet picked up their Chromebook yet they will bring information home on Tuesday that needs to be signed and returned. Parents will also need to view the Chromebook Presentation here. Once we receive the forms signed by the guardian/parent, students will be allowed to bring the Chromebooks home nightly. In the meantime, they will be provided technology to use within the classroom as needed.
• Follow Brookdale School on Twitter @BrookdaleBobcat. We use #Brookdalepride to show all the fun and cool things going on at Brookdale Elementary and the community!
SCHEDULE FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK:
Monday, August 27
• First Day of Chorus Practice for 4th & 5th Grade students - 7:50am to 8:50am - sign up here
Tuesday, August 28
• PTA Classroom Coordinator Meeting - Teachers' Lounge - 7:00pm
Wednesday, August 29
• Late Start Wednesday - first bell rings at 9:00amâ€” all students to be in their classroom by 9:15am
Thursday, August 30
• Typical day at Brookdale
Friday, August 31
• NO SCHOOL - School Institute Day
DATES TO REMEMBER:
• Monday, September 3 - NO SCHOOL - Labor Day Holiday
• Wednesday, September 12 - School Picture Day - 9:00am to 1:30pm
• Wednesday, September 12 - Curriculum Night (a parent night) - 6:30pm
• Thursday, September 20 - Student Fun Run Kick-Off Assembly - during the school day
• Thursday, September 20 - PTA General Meeting - Multi-purpose Room - 7:00pm
• Monday, September 24 - Family Fun Run Kick-Off Night at Portillo's on Jefferson - 5:00pm to 7:00pm
• Thursday, October 4 - PTA Fun Run - during the school day
Kids Marathon Flyer 2018 (